Friday, March 4, 2011

Serenity

Most folks have heard the Serenity prayer, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference".
Personally, it's one of my favorites! Something that I continually focus on. However, I don't really think I've ever really achieved it. How would you know? Would one find themselves in nirvana or something?
As a card carrying member of AA, It's a matter we discuss extensively. It seems to be a consensus though that there are no hard and fast rules, serenity is for each individual what they perceive it to be. That's too bad.. for me I need concrete... I like it spelled out.
I don't know if I will ever find "serenity". Occasionally I have enjoyed serene moments. I feel like I've reached a kind of peace with the way the economy has changed my role in the family. I think I'm finally getting comfortable with month to month, week by week, insecurity. It is teaching me a faith and reliance on god that I have never had.
Myself.. I'm happy with that. For me that represents a huge improvement.
One day at a time. One moment of serenity at a time. I'll take it.....

No comments: